I had earlier written about using Hive as a data source for BI tools using industry proven BI reporting tools and here is a list of the various official announcements from Pentaho, Talend. Microstrategy and Intellicus -
- Pentaho – http://www.pentaho.com/hadoop/, Business Intelligence Player Pentaho Embraces Hadoop
- Intellicus – Intellicus to support Hadoop framework for Large Data
- Talend – Hadoop Support Available from Industry’s Leading Open Source Data Integration Provider . However, Hadoop features will only be in Talend’s Integration Suite and will not, according to a company spokesperson, be available in Talend’s open source core product, Open Studio.
- Microstrategy (with Cloudera) – MicroStrategy Announces Support for Apache Hadoop
- Cloudera is also doing something with Quest team-http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/21/cloudera_and_quest_team_on_oracle_connector/
The topic is close to my heart since I firmly believe that while Hadoop and Hive are true large data analytics tool, their power is currently limited to use by software programmers. The advent of BI tools in Hadoop/Hive world would certainly bring it closer to the real end users – business users.
I am currently not too sure how these BI reporting tools are deciding how much part of the analytics be left in Map reduce and how much in the reporting tool itself- guess it will take time to find the right balance. Chances are that I will find it a bit earlier than others as I am working closely (read here) with Intellicus team to get the changes in Hive JDBC driver for Intellicus’ interoperability with Hive.